Since it is a new year I would like to start sharing some of my favorite recipes and cooking tips. If you know me personally, you know that I am a Cheez-It addict. We literally can’t have them in the house because I will eat the whole box and that is a very, very bad thing!! I am pretty good at eating portion size and in moderation on EVERYTHING else BUT Cheez-Its… I can’t explain it, I can’t change it or get over it, I just have to accept it and try not to buy them. With that said, the rare chance I do screw up and buy them I have to get rid of them in other ways and one of my favorite ways is with Cheez-It Chicken. There are several different variations out there, some call for flour and egg, Dijon or honey mustard, sour cream, mayonnaise and so on. I was so ready to make it for dinner tonight using the “Hellmann’s Chicken” method by using mayonnaise and cheddar cheese and sprinkle the Cheez-Its on top. That method didn’t fit into my Spark People meal plan for the day so I had to lighten it up a bit. I then remembered I had some plain Greek yogurt in the fridge that I needed to use up soon so I decided to use that. These came out so tender, juicy and flavorful and the “breading” stayed on perfectly. I was so impressed by this method, I will surely be adding this to my arsenal.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you liked by leaving a comment!
1 ½ to 2 cups Cheez-It or like brand crackers (could use reduced fat too!)
Black pepper, to taste
1 ¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
½ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
2 to 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a foil-covered baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Crush the Cheez-It crackers and mix in pepper. Place mixture in bowl.
3. In another bowl, mix the Greek yogurt and the shredded cheddar cheese.
4. Working with one chicken strip at a time, first roll strip in yogurt and cheese mixture until it is evenly covered. Next roll the strip in the Cheez-It mixture and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken strips.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
NUTRITION FACTS (APPROX.): 5 Servings; Calories: 215.4; Total Fat: 6.7 g; Cholesterol: 71.9 mg; Sodium: 168.7 mg; Potassium: 233.8 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 7.8 g; Fiber: 0.3 g; Sugar: 1.0 g; and Protein: 29.3 g.