Friday, July 22, 2011

I Gained the World.... and Then Some

This is my world!

He is my everything! All 9 pounds 2 ounces of him! This is my son Marcus, born June 24, 2011 at 7:33am. He weighed 9lbs 2oz (which he is over 10lbs now) and was 21 inches long. I was lucky with my labor and delivery. I labored for under 5 hours all natural until the last possible second when I got an epidural. No sooner than when I laid down from getting the epidural my legs were up in the air and I was pushing (it's a long story about a short birth) and 15 mins later Marcus was here. I couldn't be happier with my beautiful baby boy, he has brought so much joy to my life.

...And then some...
I feel that I was at somewhat of a disadvantage going into my pregnancy. Pre-pregnancy I had lost over 35 pounds by changing my diet and exercising a ton. My highest weight at that point was 235 pounds and around July 2010 I had hit 199 pounds on the scale and I was so ecstatic! Then I went on vacation and kind of lost my motivation for a while and in the fall I ended up around 209 pounds. November 6, 2010 my world changed when I found out that I was pregnant. It was such an amazing feeling knowing that there was a life growing inside of me.

As soon as I knew I found out I had it in my mind that I could eat more food! Food that I had been depriving myself from for over a year. I didn't go too crazy though because my first trimester and part of my second was filled with horrible morning sickness. I couldn't eat veggies but I could eat fruit, especially citrus; until I ate a grapefruit and threw up - that was the end of the citrus craze. My lifeline was McNuggets and grapes, they soothed my tummy.

After the morning sickness subsided around week 17, I ate pretty well for awhile. Once I hit week 24 I was so hungry all the time. They say when it's a boy that you eat like a teenage boy. I gained 10 pounds in one month, and my weight gain was pretty high at every appointment. During the end I couldn't stop eating! I was constantly hungry! My 39 week appointment was June 23, 2011, and I had gained 7 pounds from the last week, I weighed 268 pounds. 7 POUNDS IN 1 WEEK!! How embarrassing it was when my doctor mentioned that I gained 43 pounds the whole pregnancy. I thought 43 was a decent number, after all I enjoyed myself. However, it was still embarrassing that she called me out like that. 

Little did we both know, that the next morning I would be losing at least 9 pounds 2 ounces. When I returned home from the hospital I weighed myself and I was at 256 pounds. I was a little disappointed by only losing 12 pounds. However, about 2 or 3 days later I weighed myself again and was at 245 lbs, I lost 23 pounds, and that is where I am now.

I am 4 weeks postpartum today and I am ready to start this journey to a healthier life. I had done it before which means I can do it, and I sure as hell am not going to waste all my previous hard work losing all that weight just to be up there again. My hope is by writing this blog I can be held accountable and be more credible for what I am doing. I also hope that I can motivate other women out there who are in the same boat. So come on and join me! After all, we have already proven ourselves capable of surviving those 9 or 10 months of pregnancy AND childbirth, so what else do we have to lose except a bunch of baby weight? We can do this, and we will do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment